Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Oh Baby - A Craft Project

I haven't gotten to as much crafting for baby as I would like but I finally got to one of my projects long on my to do list.

I keep seeing super cute clothing dividers on Etsy, and on daily deal sites. They aren't particularly expensive but I figure why spend too much money on something that you'll really only use for a year?!

via Etsy
So I brainstormed how to make my own. Keep in mind that mine aren't as cute or nearly as durable as the ones you can purchase but they work for what I need them to. If I was smart I would've looked at Etsy and found these to print off but I didn't...(NEXT TIME!!!)


First I cut out a couple different shapes and sizes and kept modifying them until I found a size and shape that worked with my closet rod. I wanted something that would stay right side up so I could always see the numbers (obviously you need to cut a hole in it to get it over the rod, unless your closet rod comes off the wall, which mine does not). So I went with a circle with the top cut off.

Then I found some heavy-ish cardboard and traced my circle-like designs on them. Then I just bought some scrapbook paper that I thought was cute and boyish and traced that from my circle cut outs. Unfortunately, since we moved 6 mos. ago I don't know where my exacto knife went so I had to use a scissor, and everyone who went through the 3rd grade remembers how terrible cutting out the center of a circle is, so I didn't get the clean lines I would've liked but, oh well, not really a big deal.

Lastly I just threw some stickers on the front!

Ta-da!  Closet dividers for about $2.

You can find lots of ideas for these on pinterest but there wasn't anything I was really loving for a boy (mostly because everything had ribbon on it) and I wanted them actually handing from the closet bar but definitely check out pinterest for more inspiration!

1 comment: