Curling is a sport best played in the Great White North. Curling is done on ice (just in case you weren't sure) The point of curling is to get your rock closest to the middle. You get one point for each rock that you have closer to the middle than the other team. Only one team scores each round (which is called an "end"). 

Here, red got one point. Thanks to Ross's brother Mike. He was a great first timer!
Each team throws 8 rocks in each end and there are four people on each team. Therefore, each team member throws two rocks. One person is standing on the opposite side of the ice as the thrower, that person is the skip, they direct you where they want the rock to end up, how hard to throw it, and which type of spin to put on it. The person who throws first is called the "First" then the "Second" and then the "Third". The skip throws last and the Third then calls the shots and plays skip for those throws. If you are not the skip and you are not throwing you are sweeping with what is quite logically called, brooms. (They no longer usually resemble real brooms, but they used to which is why they are called brooms). The sweeping is actually pretty tough and a great little arm workout, but don't forget to breathe when you do it.

Sweeping, harder than it looks, really!
So, that said. I curl Tuesday nights. Last Tuesday night I was curling and then met Ross and his brothers (and later a cousin) out for drinks after curling. At approximately, 1 a.m. I started talking about curling, at which time his cousin decided he would love love love to go curling and Ross has a key for the curling club (any member can have one, don't worry not breaking any laws here). So we decided our after bar would be curling. It was a rockin' awesome time (pun intended). We curled from about 2 to 3:30 a.m., which is not a time I usually see on the clock so I had to take a picture as proof. It is sure a good thing I was on vacation the next day or I would've been in pretty rough shape!! What a great night. I really enjoy Ross's family and I am pretty sure they enjoyed the late night curling too.
A couple reasons why I love curling:
- You get to wear sweats in public and its basically expected! I love love love sweats!
- I get to spend two or three hours with my favorite person in the whole world, Ross. He is too hard on himself and would say that he is not a fantastic curler, but he is really amazing actually and makes curling my favorite thing to do when he is along with it. I love doing things with him (even though my favorite thing to do with him is just snuggle on the couch, when did I turn into such a girly girl?!)
- Drinking is not only acceptable, but encouraged. (The GF curling club actually makes a chunk of their income from the Beer vending machines, yes you heard me beer vending machines. Picture to be added after this week's match)
- I get yelled at by a loud Canadian every week and I can't understand what he is yelling but I know what I am supposed to do. It's great having a Canadian on our team, curling is in their blood! Between him and Ross they save our team every week.
- I get to spend time playing with Ross (worth restating), Amanda, Kyle and Laura each week (or whichever of the three show up that week) as well as getting to know new people from the other teams. My favorite opposing team is the guys from the AFB. They rock (another bad pun intended)
- Did I mention the beer and that it comes from vending machines?

Can't wait for the game tomorrow!



No comments:
Post a Comment